Pages

Friday, March 12, 2010

Wallyworld


Wallyworld was once touted by Clark Griswald as his family's utopia in "National Lampoon's Vacation". Twenty years later, I concur -- only this time my Wallyworld refers to Wally Szczerbiak.

I've watched him go from college standout at the University of Miami of Ohio to NBA knockout.

Amongst the rest of his colleagues, Szczerbiak looks more fitted for a Daytime soap opera than he does on a basketball court. On the other hand, one only need look at laser beam like shooting to see that he's not just a pretty face.

Truth be told, I once interviewed one of Wally's former college friends for a job. I'm less than proud to admit that I took more of an interest in the potential employee's 7 degrees of Wallydom, than I did his qualifications. Turns out that the candidate attended a wedding soiree with Wally as well as being a locker room buddy, while he served as a player on University of Miami of Ohio's soccer team. I was hoping that maybe knowing him would bring me one step closer to Monsieur Szczerbiak.

In the end, I didn't hire the former pal. It may have spelled the end of a second hand Wally connection, but my adoration will continue, as if I was a thirteen year-old girl with his picture plastered on my bedroom wall like a Tigerbeat centerfold.

0 comments:

Post a Comment